Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Superhero Gene

I may have started early with experimenting with nylons & pantyhose, but I had definate influences with my concern for tight clothing. It probably came from the superhero comic books which started it all. I mean, just look at it, big muscle men sporting tight everything, I mean, what's up with that? All that to help a stray cat out of a tree?? Ok, so they were endowed with certain extras, but why tights? And what do superheroes wear when not in costume. I mean do they instantly go cold turkey? I remember watching George Reeves switching from costume to regular wear, and thought what a drastic pain. From one mode of cloth to something so unlike what he is used to. Is it really that easy to put things away?
I mean, wouldnt he prefer to wear something a little off key, perhaps a leisure set of tights which didnt resemble his outwardly persona of a superhero. I bet if superhero legends of yesterday, since they more or less evolved mostly in the 30s to 50s, had the present day availability of pantyhose for men, I am almost sure, that Superman himself would have decided to sport a pair of leisure sets of pantyhose while he was chilling out as Clark Kent, just to give his tight wearing body the same kind of comfort as his Superman outfit. Would he relax in another set of blue tights? I dont think so. It would be no surprise if he too, would wise up to the fact that you can have your cake of the day, and eat it also. Why have a tights fallout simply because you put your comic book suit away, and Im sure he has common sense enough to browse around the men's wear section of department stores online, but they didnt have online back in the early days of comics. So of course, superheroes had no access to anything but the ordinary.
So if Superman would have evolved from todays standards, I think he might have mused at the fact, that sudden use of boxer shorts isnt all that attractive to a regular tight wearing man. Relaxing "pantyhose for men" just might come in useful to the strong athletic tight wearing hero, that can give his legs full support while no longer announcing his true identity as a common civilian. Therefore, there is another stigma along with the "nylon gene" I'll call the "superhero gene", and that reflects his desire to continue to wear tights without the superhero label.
I can honestly see Clark Kent strutting around at the supermarket with cargo shorts and sheer tan underneath those humpy pants of his. What could be more natural to a super?

No comments: